Thursday 27 February 2014

First impressions of a life without TV...

I feel like this post should perhaps start in a fashion similar to some great war journal simply because my challenge of a life without TV is like going to war.

It has been 24 hours or so since I started the challenge. The enemy is everywhere. Hope is here but I grow weary and tired. They close in every day...

Even as this typing ensues, I am sitting across from a big screen that is somehow managing to taunt me in its silence.

I kind of knew that a lot of my spare time went to the box but I didn't realise just how much. Meal times are generally with the presence of a television screen and it has become second nature to sit in front of these things.

Even retreating back to my dad's hometown, the noises seemed to invade my senses and my eyes easily become attracted to the bright screen unconsciously as if put under a spell.

I have also come to an epiphany of sorts regarding another piece of technology... My mobile phone.

With my sleepy face on in the morning, I first reach for my phone and instantly check my whatsapp and other things. In addition to no TV, I am trying my best to use my phone less.

There are upsides to a life without TV thus far.

I finally had the chance to read and finish a Mitch Albom book. A book in a day. Makes me think of all the books that I could have read...

There's also now a more conscious effort to focus on other things such as my writing and my family. A focused mind and attitude free of the frivolous distractions does wonders I guess.

The challenge is still on and there is still a long way to go. Let's hope I don't falter huh?

Love,
Geek with a pencil.

P.S. Anyone else setting a challenge for yourself this year? Comment and we can spur each other on perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment