Tuesday 3 September 2013

Just another humble man...

Most of my childhood was basically spent living in the comfort of my grandparent's house. We only moved into our own place as I entered the college phase of my life. Because of these circumstances, I grew up being surrounded by not only one but two very positive male role models in my life. My wonderful dad and the man who I would like to dedicate this piece to, my dear grandfather... My Atuk.

There a lot of things that one can admire about him. He's a retired Air Force man and I guess it's something that he carries with him even till today. From his mannerisms to his disciplined nature, it is evident in his character. Sad to say none of us grandchildren inherited this from him but I'd like to think that seeing this constant side of him in the house has instilled in all of us a sense of honour and belief in our own capabilities. Something that we can hold onto even when the world is against us...

He also has a funny side to him. Always making jokes and poking fun at all of us and even himself. I'm sure many of his close friends would be able to attest to how much of a joker he can be. Sometimes, when I'm visiting him and in the house, I'll find the odd joke book or two next to his bedside table. His laughter is a hearty one that can fill up a room with a sense of warmth.

Unknowingly as I grow up into adulthood, I keep learning a lot of things from Atuk. His relationship with my grandmother or Nanny, as I affectionately call her, is one thing that I learn from. They've spent almost 51 years being married and as far as I can tell, they still have a very youthful love. They still tease each other like teenagers and the look in their eyes is clear... It's the sort of the love that anyone would be lucky to have and it's from watching them that I have learned to recognise my own true love.

There are a lot of things that I could say about my Atuk but I'll stop here and finish with this poem.

Just another humble man

Another deafening boom comes alive
From the ol' grandfather clock
Loud and steady
Like a human heart

At his beloved desk, the humble man sits
He sips, he writes
He guffaws

His forehead touches the sejadah
Spirit soaring
He smiles

The day has come and gone
Tick
       Tock
               Tick
                      No Talk

The night is peaceful.

Happy Birthday Atuk! Your family loves you.

Love,
Your eldest granddaughter.









1 comment: