Sunday 28 April 2013

Why do people hate hipsters?

"Oh my god, you're such a hipster." 

This is an all too familiar phrase these days. I feel it necessary to first point out that I may seem like a hipster of sorts (according to the music I listen to and the way I dress apparently) but more than anything else, if I truly HAD to classify myself, I would be a geek. Geekster is the way I like to go.

I'm sure most of us would have some kind of an idea as to what a hipster is. The clothes, the music, the rejection of basically many things, if not all, mainstream. These are some of the ways that you would be able to pick out these beings in a crowd.

The word hipster itself seems to instigate various sorts of emotions from many individuals. The most common emotion though is annoyance and dislike for people from this particular subculture. But why is that so?

Is it the way hipsters talk?

Perhaps. A likely case is that people get annoyed at how hipsters seem to think so highly of themselves and their choices.

"You should totally check out (insert band name), they're amazing. Oh but they're prob not your sort of thing though."

Wait a second... That's it! It's the pretentiousness that they exude. There's nothing more annoying than someone waving their intelligence flag in your face, right? Although if you think about it, there are plenty of pretentious people out there who aren't hipsters....

Maybe it's the way they dress?

Oh yes, definitely has to be it. Those black frames, the skinny jeans, the scarves and such... It's not like punks and goths wear those sort of things too right? 

It could be all that coffee that they drink. Maybe it's the caffeine. Somehow, It accumulates inside their system with all the other hipster related things and gives off a certain aura.

Well, considering a lot of things, maybe I'll leave this one to science. Or is science too mainstream?

Love,
Geek With A Pencil.





No comments:

Post a Comment