Tuesday 7 May 2013

What GE13 showed me...

I'm not one for politics but with all that's been going on recently I feel compelled to make sense of this somehow. And words help me do this.

As a Malaysian, it was hard not to find your feed on social media exploding with all things politics. Tensions were at an all time high just a day before the election. You could just not escape it.


And then election day came, many people were upset over lots of things. 'Phantom' voters and other sneaky tactics that have come about...

I will not talk politics BUT I will talk basic human decency.

One thing that I could see running rampant on social media was all the take about race. Videos were circulated of people of different races having issues with each other. Some statuses were personal and others were not. Doing your civic duty does not mean that you stop being civil to others.

Honestly, I am disgusted with the way some people act. It's the sort of sickness that makes me wish that I could be something other than human, so I would not have to deal with the stupidity of some.

Malaysia has always been a multicultural country to live in. Festivities are always something to look forward to. Yet, some find it hard to accept that is indeed so vastly diverse. It is indeed such a shame.

From all this negativity, there also lies optimism. There is still time to make a difference.

You can't change other people but you can change yourself.

I will do my best to do this and maybe, just maybe, we could all move forward, just a little bit more at least. What is done is just done, let us work for a better future.

Love,
Geek with a pencil.





No comments:

Post a Comment