Tuesday 14 May 2013

Material memories

So, I've only got about 14 days to go before I head back to Malaysia for good. The packing is crazy, no doubt. And with this comes some decisions that I need to make as far as what I keep and what gets given away and such.

This feels very much like spring cleaning, only worse. Why? Because I can't just keep the stuff that I don't really want to throw away.

It's amazing just the sheer amount of stuff I've collected in my 5 years. Which leads me to this question...

How materialistic can one actually get?

I'm a collector (and hoarder) of many things. Earrings and hats are just a couple of my vices. Each one holds different memories and different feelings for me. 


This makes me conflicted. I know that material things aren't important but sometimes these little things seem to bring out the wonderful nature that my personality represents. The colour and energy that I have deep within me somehow gets enhanced with objects and I love making people smile with the quirky things I put on.

It's also interesting to see just how important one thing is compared to everything else for any individual. Whether it's a bottle cap collection or an assortment of figurines, everyone has something that they hold dear. 

What's important to me? This could probably be summed up in my response to my father when he asked if I really needed certain goods:

"I rather bring back my books than my clothes." - [
And I really do mean it!] 

Of course, nothing really counts as much as the experiences and the memories that you make with loved ones. Those are things that you keep with you forever.


Love,

Geek with a pencil.

P.s. So what is it that you hold dear and could probably never ever throw away? Share em in the comments.






3 comments:

  1. Hi, I really like your writing style! How I found your blog? Well, I am Dagmar from Germany.I am Mischa´s (fohl) mum and I saw you first on Twitter. I do hope you will keep writing! And have a good start back home!
    Greetings from Germany, Dagmar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dagmar, thank you so much for your lovely comment and wishes. I really appreciate it. Indeed I hope to continue writing. I hope you keep enjoying the blog and I look forward to meeting you in person someday. Best wishes to you and your family :).

      Love,
      Tasha.

      Delete
  2. Hi Tasha, thanks for your reply!!!! As far as I know, you are back in Malaysia now. I really wish you a good and pleasant (re)-start at home! I will continue reading your blog-
    Love, Dagmar

    ReplyDelete