Tuesday 23 July 2013

The good, the bad and the supposed fat

Ever since yesterday, the social media world has been filled with a lot of emotion over a Star Newspaper article. 

Yeap, you all know the one that I'm talking about.

I was disgusted and cringing when I read the article. Disgusted at the lack of sensitivity portrayed by the author and cringing at the use of words, grammar and the general flow of the piece itself.

I consider myself to be a bit on the heavy side as well, so certain words that she uses hit a nerve with me. They bring back the scars that I'm still trying to heal. This is the truth.

More than anything though I believe this article is just an insulting and hurtful piece of whatever.

Who are you, Ms. Tee Lin Say, to make such assumptions about people based on their appearance?

Were you never judged for your appearance as well?

Since then, she has received a backlash of angry comments on her facebook page. As much as I'd like to think that she deserves most of the comments that she's getting, I also believe in killing our enemies with kindness. Maybe all she needs is a better perspective and this drama will hopefully serve as her wake up call. Well, one can hope.

Love,
Geek with a pencil.





1 comment:

  1. And for those of you even slower than I... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7023763/No%20benefit%20in%20being%20fat%20-%20Community%20_%20The%20Star%20Online.pdf

    Nabbed from the Google cache before it updates with the apology statement.

    ReplyDelete